I’m Going Shopping on Thanksgiving… and I’m not Ashamed!
I’m going shopping this Thursday night. Process… process… yes, I am going shopping on Thanksgiving. Night. At. Major. Retail. Stores.
Stone her at once!!
*Point of clarification – I’m primarily going shopping for myself this week. I need a new winter jacket, tennis shoes, and work clothes that I can get at rock bottom prices. I’m completely against the commercialism of Christmas and spoiling the children to excess with toys that they won’t really use. I may grab a few things for the kids and my husband but I don’t go overboard with presents because that is nowhere near the real meaning of Christmas. Still, I’m making a game plan to get some great deals – on Thursday night. You all hate me – right?
Oh, get over it people. Seriously – what’s the big deal? Let’s break this down and be rational, shall we?
- Tons of professions have schedules where you are REQUIRED to work holidays. And you know what – you know this BEFORE you take that job or follow that career path. You know what else? – jobs like this are BIG jobs. IMPORTANT Policemen. Firemen. Doctors. Nurses. Bartenders. (Anyone care to debate the importance of bartenders in society? *crickets chirp* That’s what I thought.) I have worked in retail before and one thing you KNOW about retail jobs is that you will be required to work holidays. Labor Day, 4th of July, Veterans Day, Valentine’s Day – why does Thanksgiving rank more important than those?
- I’m just trying to do my part in stimulating the economy. Mehhhh, sounds legit.
- What’s the best thing to do after being gluttonous and gorging yourself all day? Exercise. Shopping is pretty good exercise. Think about it – fast-paced walking to get in and out as fast as possible. The rush of endorphins when you make a great purchase. The flood of adrenaline as you race the clock before the deals end. I’m going shopping on Thanksgiving for my health people…That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
- I hate mornings – 4am Doorbusters on Black Friday is not a reality in my world. This is pretty much one of the major scale tippers for me. I have tried and tried and tried and tried and tried to become a morning person. It just ain’t happening. You can’t teach an old dog new tricks and you can’t teach me to be a morning person.
- I love a good bargain. By no means am I cheap; I’m not a thrift store or yard sale person. I can’t imagine haggling to get a lower price. But I do love a good deal or a sale. 50% off everything at Old Navy? That’s what I’m talking about. $150 off a $300 purchase at Express – come to momma!
- Let’s be honest here…after 24ish hours with family we all want a little break. Just for a few hours, right? I love my family and I’m counting down all week until we convene next week but I’m about 99.99% positive that by 6-7pm on Thursday night I will be A-OK with slipping out alone for a few hours. By the time I get home the fire will be roaring and I’ll be ready for round 2 of food, drink and merriment.
- Now lastly and most importantly – Holidays are NOT about a date on the calendar. Holidays are about spending time with loved ones. Savoring each conversation, making memories and cultivating love. Giving a particular date on the calendar such power is ridiculous. Celebrate life & love every time you are with your loved ones. Make every day a holiday. Life is short – a lesson we have all learned all too well.
I gotta run – I have sale flyers to go through, lists to make and maps to highlight with color coordinating routes for quickest entries and exits. Toodles!
This is a guest post by our friend Meridith Bleakly of Small Town Girl.
Meredith Bleakley blogs as Small Town Tall Girl. Wife and mom of 3 her writings range from agonies and antidotes of motherhood, occasional political rants and raves and local tourism articles about her beloved hometown of Crystal River, FL.
- Entitled Teenager Problem? Don’t Be A “Pusi!” | MomCave LIVE - June 16, 2022
- Can Gentle Parenting Work for Real Moms in Real Life? - June 8, 2022
- Birds and the Bees Talk | Tough Talk Time for Boy Moms! - June 6, 2022