Things Moms Say At Dinner | Omaha Steaks Giveaway
(This post and Omaha Steaks giveaway are sponsored by our friends at Omaha Steaks.)
Remember dinnertime before kids? On nights we were both home, my husband and I ate dinner at 8pm or later, leisurely savoring our favorite foods and a glass of wine while discussing our respective days. Or sometimes we binge-watched Netflix late into the night while noshing the most exotic take-out New York City had to offer.
Flash forward two kids and our dinner times look very different. To begin with, we’re now early birds. Dinner can be as early as 4pm sometimes, if we have to fit in Cub Scouts and God knows whatever other kid activity, all before their 7-ish bedtime.
We definitely aren’t watching Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead while we eat. (Yeah, I used to avert my eyes during the zombie gore to preserve my appetitie.) We’re not even watching Cailou or Paw Patrol. Though I could say our goal was to minimize screen-time, it would be closer to the truth to say our kids won’t eat if they are distracted by TV.
In fact, they barely eat as it is. Sometimes every bite takes coaxing and I’m not above bribing with dessert.
And as far as leisurely rehashing the day’s events, well…. we can hardly manage a full sentence without getting interrupted.
We find ourselves repeating the same phrases each night. Here are just some of the things moms say during dinner…
- Stay in your seat.
- Don’t chew with your mouth full.
- Hurry up, we need to get to Cub Scouts.
- Daddy and I were talking.
- Slow down and chew.
- Don’t touch your butt.’
- Don’t touch your brother’s butt.
- Keep that in your mouth.
- You’re going to be hungry later.
- Just swallow it.
- This is the last meal of the day.
- Just. Eat. Something.
- No more food before bedtime.
- Five more bites and then dessert.
- You have NOT been excused.
- Inside voices.
- Okay, two more bites and then dessert.
- Do you want dessert or not?
- Restaurant voices.
- Both butt cheeks on your seat.
- No baseballs at the table.
- Let me just finish telling Daddy…
- You’re interrupting!
- Don’t eat your hair.
- Get your hair out of your mouth.
- So what if your food is touching? It all mixes together in your stomach anyway.
- Ok, fine, here’s dessert. Now can we finish talking???
Luckily, our pals at Omaha Steaks can make the whole dinner process a little easier. They can’t deal with your kids, but they can deliver delicious AND affordable steaks and more right to your door. (Did you see their full ham dinner in our SLACKER MOM’s Guide to Easter?)
Enter to win our Omaha Steaks giveaway below!Win Dinner from Omaha Steaks and MomCave